Having a server at home is a great luxury. However having a computer running 24×7 is an extreme waste of energy. Turning it on and off manually is not very appealing too. Luckily we don’t need to do either any more. Your Windows PC can easily be configured to be shut down when not in use and with I’m InTouch, it can be woke up remotely upon access.
For companies that are environmental conscious, I’m InTouch’s Wakeup-on-LAN function will provide a great means to reduce energy usage.
How does the Remote Wake-Up feature work?
If you attempt to remotely access your computer which has been powered off, I’m InTouch will notify another I’m InTouch computer on your local network to send a wake-up signal to turn on your computer. In order for remote wake-up to work, at least one computer on your network must be on and designated as the wake-up proxy in I’m InTouch to send the wake-up signal to other computers.
What are the requirements for Remote Wake-Up?
• A minimum of 2 PCs on the same wired network with the I’m InTouch client software installed. At least one PC must be designated as the Wake-Up Proxy and be powered on to wake up other computers on the network.
• The computer you want to wake-up must have a BIOS and a network card that support Wake-Up-On-LAN. This feature must also be enabled in both the BIOS and the network card properties in Windows.
• The administrator must enable the Remote Wake-Up function in the user settings page of the I’m InTouch computer you wish to power on and assign a Wake-Up password.
How do I enable Remote Wake-Up in my I’m InTouch administrator account?
1. Login to your administrator account from www.imintouch.com.
2. From the List of Computers page, check those computers of which Remote Wake-Up properties you wish to change and click the User settings/Activate link.
3. On the User Settings page, ensure that the Remote Wakeup feature has been enabled for each computer. We also recommend enabling the Remote Wake-Up Proxy option so that any computer on the same network can act as the proxy to wake up other computers. Remember, at least one computer has to have the Wake-Up Proxy enabled and be turned on in order for other computers to be remotely powered on.
Using our patented I’m InTouch Remote Wake up technology will ensure continuous compliance with your green IT policies, and take advantage of the cost savings in power management.